 CAD / Development / 7942
Re: DAT to DXF again
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Tue, 8 Oct 2002 22:17:00 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Don Heyse writes:

Can you make an AutoCAD block out of more primitive AutoCAD blocks?
I don't know.

Yes, just like Ldraw Prinitives, Autocad Blocks are nestable. And to my
knowledge without limits.

That's why I'd like see some simple examples exported to DXF from AutoCAD.
I don't really care whether an AutoCAD version of the parts uses volumes or >faces, whatever is easier to *build* with in AutoCAD.  As you said, as long >as the names match 1 to 1 with the ldraw part filenames, import and export >should be smooth. If you can create parts in Autocad without copying the >ldraw primitives, that's probably OK.

I can make a simple AutoCad model representing an instance of the box5.dat
primitive to see what you can make of that (plus some explanation what code
represends what property). Give me a few days.

On the other hand, I can see reasons for using AutoCAD to create part
files using faces, or using it to build model files with simple blocks
which can be exported to DAT files and then on to POV renderings.
That's two vastly different ways to use AutoCAD and probably requires
two different approaches to modeling the bricks.  Once again, I could
be totally wrong here.

On the Faces versus Volumes issue:
I was able to look up the constraints for volume model generation tree depth.
The maximum number of branches is set by an AutoCad system variable named
'TREEDEPTH'. It can be adjusted, but only by a limited amound. The initial
value is 30 branches and it can only be set to maximum of 99 branches, at
the cost of preformance.

With friendly greetings, M. Moolhuysen