 CAD / Development / 7919
Re: DAT to DXF again
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Wed, 2 Oct 2002 20:56:27 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Erik Olson writes:
Last night, frustrated by other bugs in BrickDraw3D, I looked at DXF
translation. First, I found a reference to many 3D formats, which could be
useful to many:

http://astronomy.swin.edu.au/~pbourke/geomformats/

I wrote some Perl scripts which create DXF models which I import to
Vectorworks. I think I have just found my interface of choice. (:

DXF is actually pretty easy if you just want to output some 3DFACE and LINE
primitives.

Looking at the work I did on a LDRAW-3DMF translator in March 99, it would
be possible to put a DXF back-end on that. This 3DMF translator made library
objects and forward references within one file, which will take some more
research to do in DXF. Does anybody know how DXF can reuse objects? The DXF
reference is actually pretty bad unless you already know the key concepts.

Would that be done in the BLOCK - ENDBLK section?  It's been eeeeons
since I did any DXF output, but that seems to ring a bell.  And this
link seems to back me up.

  http://www.floodmaps.fema.gov/listserv/rp_aug02.htm#one

Good luck,

Don