 CAD / Development / 7101
Re: matching pattern numbers???
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Wed, 10 Apr 2002 16:35:59 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Franklin W. Cain wrote:

For patterned parts that occur together in a set -- say, for example, the
various patterned parts from a Han Solo minifig (from the Star Wars theme) --
that have been or are being encoded as LCAD data files, shouldn't we be
co-ordinating these pattern numbers so they match?

When reasonable, yes, we should.  If I make the Johnny Thunder face
today, but don't make his torso for a couple of years, I wouldn't expect
that the same pattern number will necessarily be available later.  There
are too many patterns for that.

I used "ps5" as the pattern
number for the minifig head,  I'm using "ps5" for the hips and leg (for the
gunbelt pattern [1]).
But, "ps5" is *not* the pattern number being used for the corresponding
*torso*!  Instead, the minifig torso (the one w/ the black vest [2]) is
currently using "ps4", while "ps5" is being used for the Darth Vader torso...

In this case, since Darth is still an unofficial part, there's no
problem renumbering the torsos.

Looking at this situation more in depth...

I did a quick check, I counted roughly 36 distinct "minifig characters"
in the Star Wars sets.  That is, based on minifig parts, with their
colors and printing, and sometimes special parts, but ignoring general
parts (like capes, hoods, standard hair), there are some 36 different SW
minifigs.  This is *not* including the 2002 sets, so take these numbers
as a low count.

There are 33 different printed torsos, 1 set of printed hips'n'legs, and
13 printed faces (including Gasganos, but not including special
headpieces, such as C3P0 and Chewbacca).  Of these, there are probably
12 characters where the patterned head and torso (and maybe other parts)
should be associated by pattern number.  These characters are:

Anakin Skywalker (EP1)
Captain Han Solo  or  Han Solo (Prisonor of Jabba)
Darth Maul
Darth Vader
Emporer Palpatine
Luke Skywalker (Farm Boy)
Luke Skywalker (Jedi)
Obi Wan Kenobi (Hermit)
Queen Amidala (Padme)
Scout Trooper
Senator Princess Leia Organa

I've posted the complete table of my findings at
<http://www.lugnet.com/cad/~699/swminifigs/>.

Steve