 CAD / Development / 6226
Re: Substitute Colors for Dithered Colors?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Sat, 7 Jul 2001 09:15:29 GMT

I think much of the use of dithered colors in LDRAW really paid
off when the dithering was used to imply a different texture,
such as shiny gold, diffuse rubber, or flourescent colors.
I'm currently concerned about what happens to the dithered colors
when LDLite is used to generate 4096x4096 pixel high res images
for printing -- I think the "implied texture" will be lost,
and I'm wondering if I need to expand the dither pattern to make
it stand out better.
-gyug

n lugnet.cad.dev, Erik Olson writes:

I was hoping for some argument that the perceptual equivalent of dithered
colors has a hue dominated by the more saturated color. This might be true
of the average anyway. One could do color space conversions to check the
proof of that.

-Erik