 CAD / Development / 616
Re: Part Numbering Crisis in LDraw
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Tue, 9 Mar 1999 08:40:30 GMT

onyx wrote:

#1 (my preference, since this is how we handle two halves of every hinge,
wheel-tyre combo, etc.. true, they aren't glued together, but rarely do you
see tires without wheels in them)... is to have NO AGGREGATE elements...
just make both parts as separate elements, each with their own part number,
both in color 16 and let the modeler combine them manually... the numbers
will be adjacent in the catalog so it isn't like a big search will have to
ensue to find the other half.. i'm not real big on shortcuts... and in the
case of minifigs.. lack of shortcuts is what brings us things like steve's
minifig modeler.. we need more of that type of production...

#2 create both halves as stated in option #1, then have a single aggregate
number that is also only in color 16... we can use the first aggregate we
have come across (i don't remember tje number exactly, but terry's earlier
posts had it).. that way you can drop in either half, each with their own
color.. or a whole part all done in the color of your choice... sure we
believe the first aggregate part number to be for yellow only, but so
what??? either we care about mimicking the TLG catalog exactly or we
don't... and that's where the decision in this all lies...

I vote in favour of solution #1

By the way, The pink Belville dinghy exists, it was part of set #5841
As seen from the pictures in my Dutch 1988 catalogue, it's identical to the
yellow dinghy .

Greetings, M. Moolhuysen.