 CAD / Development / 6025
Re: Advice please on DATs for bendy-arm holder 2x2 brick
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Wed, 28 Mar 2001 15:28:11 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Chris Dee wrote:

I am almost ready to post dat file(s) for the 2x2 brick used to hold the
bendy-arms in classic space and maxifigs. It is composed of two separate pieces
which clip together (neither of my examples have embossed part numbers).

Do the pieces move or rotate against each other?  How are they attached:
glue, weld, clipping, or something else?

My question is - should this be a single part with two subparts OR two separate
parts?

LEGO will have considered the components as separate elements, and the
composite assemblies as more elements.  So everything qualifies as a part
file.

If two parts should they have a common origin - which will be outside
the part boundary for one of them.

Yeah, they should have a common origin.

Analogies may be drawn with the lattice pillar (2580) and top (2579), and the
2x2 plate turntable base (3680) and top (3679) each modelled separately.
Electric motor assemblies have typically used the sub-part approach.

The question is complicated by the fact that the top piece (at least) exists in
two visibly distinct versions - one with a round hole and one with just two
small slots. I have not yet managed to dismantle my slotted version to see if
the lower piece is unchanged.

Do a separate part file for each piece, and then a shortcut (xxxxC01.dat)
file for the whole thing(s).  If the xxxx is the number of the base, you'll
end up with xxxxC01.dat and xxxxC02.dat, to shortcut to the two variations
of the top part.

Steve