 CAD / Development / 5917
5916  |  5918
Subject:
Question on transparent printed parts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Sat, 3 Feb 2001 00:36:10 GMT

Earlier today, I posted a 1x6 brick with the text "Shell" printed on it.  I
also have a version of this piece that is printed on a clear 1x6.  And I'm
trying to figure out how to model that in LDraw.  Is there any way to
control the alpha level of a transparent part?  I need the core part to be
normal trans-white.  And I need the face to be trans-white and trans-red,
but much less transparent to represent the paint on the surface of the piece
and yet to allow light to pass through.  All I can think of is to color the
face white and the text trans-red, and then use a trans-white main color.
This way, you'd be able to sorta see through it and light would illuminate
the text from behind... but no light would shine through the area
surrounding the text.

Any better ideas?  Or should I just accept the lameness in LDraw, and
include a POV-Ray version of the part that deals with the transparent part
in a fancier way?

--
Tony Hafner
www.hafhead.com

In case it helps, you can find the regular version in this article:
  http://news.lugnet.com/cad/dat/parts/?n=2304