 CAD / Development / 5916
Re: Question on (unneeded?) lines in printed parts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Fri, 2 Feb 2001 18:43:06 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Tony Hafner writes:
I have noticed recently that some printed parts have edges around all the
printed bits.

For example, look at 3010p06.dat.  This is a 1x4 with stripes on one side.
But between each red stripe and its neighboring bgcolor stripe, there is a
light-red line.  At first I thought this was totally unnecessary.  As I
thought about it, I realized that it would sorta make sense if the part
itself were red- you'd be able to see where the divisions are.  Then I
thought some more and realized that was silly.  Then again, when you rotate
the part in MLCAD the lines show up and it looks kind of cool.  But that
seems like a weak reason to keep them in.  Or is this something done to help
align the parts during development that just didn't get removed?

So I figured I'd ask here.  From my spelunking around the parts directory,
it seems that such lines aren't usually part of a printed piece... or are
they and I've been looking at the wrong ones?

So the question is: Should I include such lines in printed pieces?

--
Tony Hafner
www.hafhead.com

Type 2 lines should not be used to outline the decorated areas on printed
parts, so their use in 3010p06 is incorrect.

To improve the look of the part when rendered by some of the older LCAD
software, it is acceptable to define type 2 lines along the centre on _narrow_
quads - this stops the blurring of adjacent colours obscuring the pattern.

Apart from this they should only be used for edges - they should not be used to
define fine detailed patterning.

Chris