 CAD / Development / 5766
Re: re-name "patterned" parts?...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Mon, 18 Dec 2000 21:49:10 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Franklin W. Cain wrote:

People, I've noticed a minor problem with the current way
of naming/titling "petterned" parts.

Notice that the patterned parts are *not* directly after their
respective "master" part, but are often separated by one or two
other parts in between.

I propose that, instead of our usual convention of naming
a patterned part "Whatever with Blah-Blah-Blah pattern",
we instead name it "Whatever - Blah-Blah-Blah pattern".

This will result in the patterend parts being immediately
after their respective "master" part, as show below:

Thoughts?

This would do what you want, unless there was another, similar part, whose name is
the same as the master part, except the final dimension included a fractional
part, such as "... 2 & 1/3".  Not that this is something that commonly collides
with patterned elements, but it's not unheard-of, either.

A better approach (sorting-wise) would be to stick another blank in front of the
"with".  The space character has the lowest ordinal value of all allowed
characters in the part title, and will always sort first.

But basically, my response is:

A. Yes, getting patterned parts to sort in with their master part is a Good Thing.
B. It's not enough of a Good Thing to update a few hundred part files all at once.
B1. I don't feel it's even enough of a good thing to start enforcing as a new
"naming rule".  It's hard enough to explain the weird spacing in the dimensions...

Steve