 CAD / Development / 5628
Re: numbers for "Castle" minifig torso patterns?...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Wed, 29 Nov 2000 23:49:38 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Franklin W. Cain writes:
In lugnet.cad.dev, Chris Dee writes:

Based on recent discussions here, I think we have agreed
to allow alpha characters after the "p",
to prevent pxx number expanfding to three digits
(not a problem for 973pxx, but potentially for 3626bpxx and similar).

I remember it being discussed, but I don't recall any agreement.
The flaw I saw with this proposal is, is the file "973p4a.dat"
an independent part all its own, or is it merely the first _sub_part
of "973p4.dat"?

I see three reasons why this argument may be flawed, but I think we are
confusing the meaning of subpart.
1) The Pxx number are all two digits, so 973p4.dat should never exist.
2) The same pattern on a part varient would be demand a suffix for the base
part number, so in your example would be named 973ap4.dat, not 973p4a.dat.
Indeed we do have this situation for the minifig head - we have a 3626bp01.dat,
but equally there should be a 3626ap01

In summary (N=numeric, A=alpha, X=alphanumeric, P=P, C=C, S=S)
Base parts ............ NNN.dat     NNNN.dat     NNNNN.dat
Variant parts ......... NNNA.dat    NNNNA.dat    NNNNNA.dat
Decorated base parts .. NNNPXX.dat  NNNNPXX.dat  NNNNNPXX.dat
Decorated variant parts NNNAPXX.dat NNNNAPXX.dat
Shortcut assemblies ... NNNCXX      NNNNCXX      NNNNNCXX
Mini-parts (*) ........ NNNSXX      NNNNSXX      NNNNNSXX

True subparts s\NNNPXXC.dat s\NNNNPXXC.dat

(*) delivered from TLC on a sprue, like the helmet feathers

The more I've been thinking about it, the more I'm liking what I do
here on my own hard drive: _extra_ sub-directories.  For example:

PARTS\
PARTS\973.DAT
PARTS\973\
PARTS\973\P108.DAT
PARTS\973\P108A.DAT
PARTS\973\P108B.DAT
PARTS\973\P109.DAT
PARTS\973\P109A.DAT
PARTS\973\P109B.DAT
PARTS\3626B.DAT
PARTS\3626B\
PARTS\3626B\P108.DAT
PARTS\3626B\P108A.DAT
PARTS\3626B\P108B.DAT
PARTS\3626B\P109.DAT
PARTS\3626B\P109A.DAT
PARTS\3626B\P109B.DAT

I am _not_ suggesting that we could realistically or conveniently
implement this alternative solution for _every_ part that has patterns,
but I _do_ think that it's a viable alternative for those parts
that have a large number of patterns (or the _potential_ for
a large number of patterns, i.e., minifig torso and head patterns,
and decorated slopes and tiles).

That's fine for users of more recent CAD tools, but would deny LDraw users
access to the decorated parts.

But I digress...

Getting back to my critique of the "alphanumeric" proposal,
I also don't like the idea of an alphabetic character
as the first "digit" of the pattern number, because
that is _also_ where a part-number _suffix_ would go
(as I believe Steve pointed out).

However, I _do_ like the option of adding a two-character
alpha_BETIC_ (and _not_ alphaNUMERIC) pattern number range.
Thus, whenever we see "p11" or "pgq", we will _know_
that the "11" or "gq" respectively is _without_a_doubt_
the pattern number.  We could re-sequence the StarWars patterns
as "paa", "pab", "pac", "pad", (etc.), thus keeping them together.

In the case of a subpart for an alphabetic pattern number,
the subfile would use a numeric suffix, e.g., the first
subpart of "paa" would be "paa1", and so on.

I still see no reason why we could not use 973pa1, 973pa2, .. 973pa9, 973paa,
.. 973paz. Subparts only need to be named to avoid conflict, so there is no
real reason why any subparts for 973paa.dat could not be named s\973paaa.dat
s\973paab.dat.

Thoughts?

Franklin

Chris