 CAD / Development / 5329
5328  |  5330
Subject:
New program for Macs: BrickDraw3D
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Thu, 28 Sep 2000 23:33:58 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

Mac users wishing for LDRAW, your day is nearing!

I've started to post daily builds of my program, BrickDraw3D.

See http://olson.pair.com/

In short, the goals for this program are everything you've been dreaming of but
couldn't get on a Mac. Well, at least as far as LDRAW capabilities. (When I
finish this I'll take on Mindstorms, Dave!)

So far, what it does well is draw bricks. You can use it to show the DAT links
on Lugnet, for example. It doesn't handle all parts equally well just yet. 6040
Armor Shop is on that web page as a visual sample. For certain things (curved
parts!) you're still better off with MacLDGLite, but I hope you'll find
BrickDraw3D more pleasant to use and constantly improving. Please do bug me
with requests! I'll post a feature-voting list soon.

In the fullness of time this will be open sourced. Though if you want source
now, just ask me. Especially if you want to help debug.

BrickDraw3D is based on QuickDraw3D. It can use plug-in renderers like
Inklination FineArt3D. RayShade http://www.inf.elte.hu/~boga/Rayshade/ is
another example. Unfortunately this technology went into the dustbin. However
I'm basing BrickDraw3D on Quesa for Mac OS X (BeOS anyone?) and I expect
exciting things in 2001, like a POVRAY plugin.

Tonight, I'm working on optimization (connecting triangles in fans and strips.)
Last night's build introduced the little handles that appear around a part when
you click on it. Once I have got rendering speeded up 10x, I can put in drag-
and-drop piece editing.

-Erik Olson