 CAD / Development / 5171
Re: Sphere tesselation
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Mon, 11 Sep 2000 19:00:21 GMT

"Steve Bliss" <steve.bliss@home.com> wrote in message
news:ppnprssksi9anl3hi45qgq5kkbarndid1n@4ax.com...
In lugnet.cad.dev, Travis Cobbs wrote:

At some point, I'd like to replace the sphere p-files with something
better-looking.  Something like the 48\1-8sphe.dat I posted (see
<http://news.lugnet.com/cad/dat/parts/primitives/?n=39>), but with only 5
vertices on each edge, to fit with the standard curved p-files.

How did you generate this file?  It certainly looks like it was
algorithmically generated.  Don't tell me you figured out all those points
BY HAND?

I did some checks on the net.  Unfortunately, I couldn't find any standard
sphere tesselation algorithms which would meet the criterion of having the
edge points line up the way we need them.  There is one algorithm that comes
close, which basically recursively subdivides the faces of an octohedron,
and then "pushes" the resulting points out to the edge of a sphere.
Unfortunately, this results in points which cluster around the original
octohedron vertices.  It also requires the number of steps to be a power of
2, although a simple modification could get around this problem.

--Travis Cobbs (tcobbs@san.REMOVE.rr.com)