 CAD / Development / 5130
Re: Gappy Spheroids?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Wed, 6 Sep 2000 19:47:34 GMT

"Dave Schuler" <orrex@excite.com> wrote in message
news:G0H8D0.n04@lugnet.com...
Playing around with part-authoring, I've been trying a few different • methods
of generating pseudo-curved surfaces.  I've noticed that different • "facets" of
such an approximate curve render with gaps between them in L3P and L3Lab, • even
when two adjacent facets share an actual edge.  What causes this gap to
appear, and is there anything that can be done about it?
  I'm not so worried about the faceted appearance of the approximated • curve;
in fact, I think that's kind of cool.

I'm not sure I understand what you are saying completely, but I'll give an
explanation based on what I think you're saying ;-).  The gaps aren't in
your approximation; they're where your approximation meets one of the
primitives, (cone, cylinder, sphere, etc) which has been replaced by L3P.

So, if you have facets which meet up with the facets of the cylinder
primitive, when you run it through L3P with primitive substitution enabled,
the cylinder primitive, (which has facets in the .DAT version) is replaced
with a mathematically correct cylinder (which doesn't have facets).  There
are then gaps between your facets and the mathematically correct cylinder
produced by L3P.  The same thing happens with cones and spheres.

If this is indeed the problem you are experiencing, I believe you have two
choices.  Either turn off primitive substitution in L3P (this is an option,
isn't it?), which will give everything a faceted appearance, including studs
(which you probably don't want), or make sure not to use any of the
primitives in your curve.

--Travis Cobbs (tcobbs@san.REMOVE.rr.com)