 CAD / Development / 5122
Re: It's all clear now... (how to use 1-4cyls2.dat)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Wed, 6 Sep 2000 17:09:16 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Chris Dee wrote:

Thanks for explaining this again Steve - I am sure I tried to explain this when
I created this primitive in Oct 1998.

I kind of figured you had, but I totally didn't remember that you had.

What is really strange is that I created 1-4cyls2.dat specifically for the
minifig helmet visor (2447.dat), yet the current released version does not use
this primitive, even though my copy of what I submitted does. Now things have
gone full circle and the revised 2447.dat in the current voting does correctly
use this, allowing better rendering by l3p, etc, which is good news.

Hmm.  I wonder if the current 2447.dat was inlined at some point, because
1-4cyls2.dat hadn't been made official yet...

I agree that the L3Lab random colours option is a good way to see what is going
on but it is still tricky to figure out how to rotate this (and the other cyls
primitives correctly). What I do during authoring is to massively scale up the
primitive and rotate it until it looks right, before scaling it down to the
required size.

Yep.  Or, you can copy the primitives to a temp file, zoom in with L3Lab,
and then copy the lines back to your main file once they are set right.
That way, you don't have to rescale your commands.

Steve