 CAD / Development / 4965
Re: Parts authoring help wanted
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Fri, 11 Aug 2000 21:14:50 GMT

ludo soete wrote...
First off all i hope that i post this in the right subgroup.

Right.

I would like to create a new part for the LDRAW library and i do have some
questions but can't find an answer for it, nor on Lugnet nor on LDRAW.ORG.

Part authors are always very welcome, and your contribution will be
much appreciated. I think the FAQ (http://www.ldraw.org/faq) has
lots of info about the DAT format and description of primitives.

1) In witch direction point the X axis
2) In witch direction point the y axis
3) In witch direction point the Z axis

4) In witch direction do we INCREMENT the numbers
5) In witch direction do we DECREMENT the numbers

Can someone explain this?
Perhaps with a 3-D drawing from the 3 axis?
Adding this information to the FAQ in LDRAW.ORG?

Try loading eg. part 3001 into L3Lab (http://home16.inet.tele.dk/hassing/l3lab.html)
Turn on "Show Axes".
The x-axis is blue, y-axis is green and z-axis is red.
Arrows indicate the positive direction of the axes.

Then turn on "Show all colors as transparent"
and turn off "Dither transparency"
Set the Zoom to eg. 300.
Now rotate the part using the mouse. Hold CTRL down while you rotate.
This should give you an impression of the anatomy of a part.

Try loading other parts too.
/Lars