 CAD / Development / 4951
4950  |  4952
Subject:
L3Lab woes
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.cad
Date:
Fri, 4 Aug 2000 18:41:06 GMT

...Okay, they're not actually woes, just a couple of nits that *really* slow
me down:

First, when I start up L3Lab, I get a message box telling me that the best
drawings should be rendered in true color (24/32 bit) instead of my measly
64k-color mode.  Well, I'm not gonna change my bit depth, but I'd like to see
this dialog box go away.

Secondly, upon closing L3Lab, a dialog box pops up thanking me for using it.
If I don't click on the button in this dialog, it'll disappear after a few
seconds, but it's still pretty annoying when I'm launching L3Lab several dozen
times.

These dialog boxes introduce a serious speed issue when I'm digging through
hundreds of DAT and MPD files.  These features "feel" like they're just
beta-level features, but L3Lab is already in the 1.2 level.  Is there any
reason to keep them?  Aside from these nits, I feel that L3Lab is faster and
overall neater than LDLite.

One possible solution to this issue would be to open up the source for L3Lab,
and possibly even allow source code check-ins from others.  Lars, do you have
any thoughts on this?  Given your limited time resources, it could be what is
needed to polish off L3Lab and make it a fantastic app.

Cheers,
- jsproat