 CAD / Development / 4796
Re: Whats the color # for "silver"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Thu, 6 Jul 2000 13:28:11 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Bram Lambrecht wrote:

Steve Bliss <blisses@worldnet.att.net> writes:
Good question.  This should have a different color code than the
chrome silver (which is 383).

503 looks the same as 383, because it's dithered from the same
colors (white and light gray).

Right now (IIRC), L2P and L3P convert both 503 and 383 to chrome silver.
I've used both color codes in my DAT files...

But with a different color code, it would
be easy for POV-Ray (or other rendering programs)
to differentiate the treatment (texture et al) of
the colors.

But since the colors look the same in LDraw/LEdit, this might cause some
confusion.

Maybe, but LDraw renderers typically aren't sophisticated enough to render
a chromed surface, so the only possible differences are in the color.  If
you take away the shiny/reflective nature of the chromed parts, I think the
color would be very similar to the 'new silver'.

Besides 503, 399 and and 504 are possibilities.  These two colors
mix White and Dark Gray.

The new silver has a similar overall brightness as the chrome, so I
think that 503 is a good choice for 'the new silver'.

I haven't seen the new silver, but would mixing light and dark gray be a
possibility also?

I think that those colors--376 and 391--would be too dark.  The new silver
is brighter than light gray.

Interesting note: in the instructions for 8448, the same color is used for
light gray parts and the new silver wheel-hubs.

Steve