 CAD / Development / 4607
Re: Ideas for I-DEAS?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Sat, 15 Apr 2000 06:41:22 GMT

Duane Hess wrote:

In lugnet.cad.dev, Kevin Loch writes:
In lugnet.cad.dev, Duane Hess writes:
In lugnet.cad.dev, Selçuk Göre writes:
Hi guys,

Is there anyone who is familiar with I-DEAS package? I-DEAS is a very
nice professional CAD software with very powerful surfacing features.
I've just started using it and love it. If there would be any way to
convert (one of) its output file formats to Ldraw format, many many
parts could be created in a matter of minutes.

Selçuk

It's been a couple of years since I touched the system. Does I-DEAS have the
ability to export an .STL file? There is an .STL to .DAT translator out there
somewhere, I just haven't had a chance to check it out yet.

-Duane

When I bought a used SGI Indy a while back it came with a ton of manuals
and cdroms for that package.  I threw most of the manuals out, and probably
the cdroms too.  It looked interesting but far too complex for anything
I'd want to do with it.

KL

I still have my manuals at home, I can check out the file types tonight. I wish
I still had access to that package. I-DEAS blows away AutoCAD in much the same
way that AutoCAD blows away MS Paint. It's just too bad the the price tag
increases at about the same rate as the performance.

-Duane

Could you please inform me about it? We still don't have the real copy
yet (still waiting for the license and the package to be posted us,
while playing around with the initial educational copy so no manuals
yet)

By the way, your analogy for both price and power is nice..:-) We paid
12000 bucks for NT version approximately (including service and 12 hours
of education) but the difference between Autocad and I-DEAS (especially
in 3D modeling) is tremendous.

Selçuk