 CAD / Development / 4511
4510  |  4512
Subject:
L3Lab and BFC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Wed, 19 Apr 2000 01:43:40 GMT

I have been very busy for the past weeks (tearing down a brick fireplace (real bricks :-)
and a 20 feet chimney, painting ceilings and walls, the Sping has really put ideas
into my wife's head :-), but last night I finally got some time for myself.
So I implemented BFC in L3Lab according to the current specs.

CW/CCW flipping and matrix inversion checking is handled during file parsing,
so the penalty for BFC checking while rendering is almost immeasurable (<1%)

I have added two directories to the file search path, so you don't have to overwrite
your parts/primitives with Steve's BFC versions. The file search path is now:
  Current directory
  %LDRAWDIR%\BFC\P
  %LDRAWDIR%\BFC\PARTS
  %LDRAWDIR%\P
  %LDRAWDIR%\PARTS
  %LDRAWDIR%\MODELS
  Directory of model file (L3P/L3Lab specific I think)

BTW, I think there is an error with the winding of Steve's 3001.dat,
it should be CCW...

BFC is on per default, which is NOT good when viewing a single part:
the parts is treated as certified, even if it isn't, and primitives may get
erroneously clipped.
Maybe I should test if a model (here a part) has any tris/quads or
primitive-references, and if so assume it is a part, and turn BFC off?

When BFC is off, mytest6 works as usual.
When BFC is on, mytest6 shows
  green: faces to be drawn
  red: faces to be clipped (you shouldn't see any of these ;-)
  blue: faces always draw (clipping off)

I'm in the middle of updating the file polling and other things,
so it's not a fully tested release, but you can test the BFC:
http://www.netby.net/Nord/Mandelvej/Hassing/l3lab.html
Well, I'm off for a 4-day week-end in a cottage at the sea...
/Lars