 CAD / Development / 442
Re: part: panel 1 x 2 x 1 with black grille pattern
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Sat, 27 Feb 1999 19:52:35 GMT

Good work on this one, but I might suggest using quads instead of rect.dat for
the black lines (does James' pattern use these?).  Black rect.dat's have dark
grey edge lines around them, and I don't thik there is any dark grey on this
pattern.

Here's another tip I use when making patterns for parts:

When a patterned part is shown at small scales, they become distorted.  The
black sections may bleed together (if they are drawn first.  If the color 16
sections are drawn first, then they will bleed together.)  So what I would do
in this case is first draw type 2 color 16 lines in the exact center of each
color 16 area, then draw the black areas, and finally fill in the color 16
areas.  At higher magnification, the type 2 lines will be invisible, but at
lower magnification, they will make sure at least some color 16 shows through
between the black areas.  Not everyone does this, so it's just a suggestion,
but one I think makes for better looking patterned parts.

-John Van

Jonathan Wilson writes:
here is another part i made
panel 1 x 2 x 1 with black grille pattern
it does exist in real lego because i have it in front of me

snip
1 0 -15 12 10 1 0 0 0 0 9 0 0 0 rect.dat
1 0 -10 12 10 1 0 0 0 0 9 0 0 0 rect.dat
1 0 -5 12 10 1 0 0 0 0 9 0 0 0 rect.dat
1 0 0 12 10 1 0 0 0 0 9 0 0 0 rect.dat
1 0 5 12 10 1 0 0 0 0 9 0 0 0 rect.dat