 CAD / Development / 4286
Re: Time for BFC overhaul?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Sun, 2 Apr 2000 21:39:38 GMT

Previously, Steve wrote:
[SNIP]
There we go again !
I saw this coming !

I'm glad I didn't let you down. ;)

Why the hack do you assume things are stable as long as you agree with
the supposed current status of them ?

Because it's easier than rereading the entire thread of 83 messages
where we went through all this before.  Seriously.  But I will attempt
to go through that thread, recap the issues raised, and outline their
outcome.  But that will be in a separate message from this one.

Didn't answer the question, but moving on.

[SNIP]
I don't ignore anything.  I may read it, read differing statements, and
go with what I feel is the best choice.  I do try to *not* cross the
opinion of the majority, regardless of my personal opinion.

That's good to know.

By this I mean:
Sometime ago, last year, you also made an afirmation similar to the one
in this mail, and I replyed to you and the group, with a mail saying
some of the issues that were NOT closed or agreed by all.

Notice that this issue is still open.  I try to be *very* careful, in my
messages and e-mail and actions, to not inadvertently imply that the
proposed BFC standard is anything more than a proposal.

Yes, but the proposed standard doesn't list the several options for
a specific issue thta asn't been agreed iet.
List the options, that's my point, because if you don't, than you are
taking a side. right ?

[SNIP]
It is easier to see what works and what fails when there is an actual
example to test.

Sometimes, because sometimes it just leads you to erroneous choices.

You have done a similar thing with the actual spec you wrote.

I do consider my opinion as one 'vote' among equals.  So if I see a
message from Mr. Y saying A, and another from Mr. X saying B, and I
think A is more valid B, I will go with A.  Now, when Mr. Z steps up,
and agrees with B, we're in trouble.

Well I think that's the only problem of democracy, the ties (spelling ?).

This is NOT saying that someone shouldn't write a spec, I mean that you
shouldn't force the ideias that where not agreed in the spec.

Very true.

Great !

I know that any one can say they don't agree with it, but once it's
written it is a lot more dificult to change.

But if it's not written, it's much harder to keep focus and know where
we stand.

Just point out all the solutions, not just the ones you think are
correct!

You accept ideias from others as long as they don't clash with yours !

That's not true.  I'm just thick-skulled.  Sometimes things have to be
explained to me with very small words.  With some repetition.

Well, if I can help drill it when needed, just say so  8)

Thanks for this reply. I think we are improving things.

See ya

Rui Martins