 CAD / Development / 4237
  Checking for bowtie quads?

Do anybody know of a simple algorithm for checking if a quad is of the "bowtype" kind? I.e. a quad where two of the edges cross each other. I understand that Lars C Hassing's L3P does this check, so perhaps he can help me? Thanks in advance! Fredrik (24 years ago, 29-Mar-00, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Checking for bowtie quads?

(...) Lar's L3Input.cpp is in the latest ldglite source (which is available at the usual place). It contains the bowtie checking code and is quite nice. Don (24 years ago, 29-Mar-00, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Checking for bowtie quads?

(...) Thanks, I've got it! I didn't know the check was that involved, though... Fredrik (24 years ago, 29-Mar-00, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Checking for bowtie quads?

(...) Yeah, I tried to think of a simpler way to do it myself. But all my ideas required converting the quad from 3D coords to 2D coords first so my feeble brain could handle it. :^) Don (24 years ago, 29-Mar-00, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Checking for bowtie quads?

Just a question... Does the quad should be plane, is there any problem to get 4 non-coplanar points ? Damien. (24 years ago, 29-Mar-00, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Checking for bowtie quads?

(...) Quads should be plane and follow a correct order, the points must be in a correct order. Search the old messages and you'll find several discussions about it. Leonardo (24 years ago, 29-Mar-00, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Checking for bowtie quads?

(...) Wow, I'm glad I revisited this since I think I can save some rendering time by saving the vertex normals from the bowtie checks for the OpenGl lighting phase in LdGLite. Here is the algorithm I came up with before I decided to use the L3 code (...) (24 years ago, 30-Mar-00, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Checking for bowtie quads?

It's funny but two weeks ago, I developed exactly this method, the one with the cross products, and all the findings you got, too. (...) Isn't 3D math a wonderfull thing P.S. Maybe if I would have look at someone elses code or book, my life could (...) (24 years ago, 30-Mar-00, to lugnet.cad.dev)