 CAD / Development / 2558
Re: i admit i was wrong
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Fri, 13 Aug 1999 13:56:02 GMT

Steve Bliss writes:
JW wrote:
and the other baseplates do not have the edges so I will assume that
they are not needed.

Don't assume: remember.  This was discussed before.  Since the other
raised baseplate in the LDraw library doesn't use curved edges, you • don't
*have* to do them in your part.  It would improve the quality of the • part[2],
but it isn't required.

2- Actually, it's debatable whether curved edges would improve the
part. It's possible the part wouldn't look as good in LDraw, because of • the
lack of edge-lines.

Type 5 lines would make up for the lack of edge lines on curved edges,
wouldn't they?  (But I won't pretend that I know anything about using
type 5 lines :/ )  Also, as more and more people raytrace their models, I
think LDrawn parts should attempt to recreate actual parts as closely as
possible.  That's also a good argument for Lars and Lutz to join forces.
I think that L2P and L3P parts would mix fairly well, which would provide
the quality of the LGEO library where possible and fill in L3P parts
created on the fly where no LGEO part existed.
Lutz, Lars: have you contacted each other about such a possibility?
--Bram