 CAD / Development / 2562
Re: i admit i was wrong
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Fri, 13 Aug 1999 14:56:39 GMT

Bram Lambrecht <braml@juno.com> wrote in message news:19990813.073557.8175.1.braml@juno.com...
Steve Bliss writes:
JW wrote:
and the other baseplates do not have the edges so I will assume that
they are not needed.

Don't assume: remember.  This was discussed before.  Since the other
raised baseplate in the LDraw library doesn't use curved edges, you • don't
*have* to do them in your part.  It would improve the quality of the • part[2],
but it isn't required.

2- Actually, it's debatable whether curved edges would improve the
part. It's possible the part wouldn't look as good in LDraw, because of • the
lack of edge-lines.

Type 5 lines would make up for the lack of edge lines on curved edges,
wouldn't they?  (But I won't pretend that I know anything about using
type 5 lines :/ )

The type 5 lines only show up at the outer edges.  There still would be no edgeline extending the length of the edge between the top
and side faces, simply because there isn't a hard edge there in reality.  The result isn't always stellar, though.  A good example
is the SW click hinge w/ one finger.  All the rounded edges make it look like there are edgelines missing.

IMHO, the improvement to the POV output justifies modeling curved edges where possible.  The baseplate with hard edges just won't
have that picture-perfect quality, even though it will be fine for LDraw.

-John Van