 CAD / Development / 2289
  Another part variation

obPartTrivia: Anyone notice that there are[1] two different versions of the "Palm Tree Trunk Segment"? One is 40LDU[2] tall, the other is 44LDU tall. The difference is in the male connector on the bottom of the part. The shorter version appears to (...) (25 years ago, 8-Jul-99, to lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.general)

  Re: Another part variation

(...) Plant those new hurricane proof palm trees! Just kiddin', just the other day I had the new tree in my hands for the first time. Yuck. Julie (25 years ago, 8-Jul-99, to lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.general)

  New Palm Tree (was: Re: Another part variation)

(...) Aren't they horrible? The new tree would be somewhat defensible if it held together. But it's more fragile than the old multi-part trees. One step backward, and two steps back. Steve (25 years ago, 8-Jul-99, to lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.general)

  Re: Another part variation

(...) Hmm. I just realized that the palm tree trunk pieces in my copy of #5988, Pharaoh's Forbidden Ruins, are the longer version. That's the version I thought was older. Weird *and* trivial. Steve (25 years ago, 17-Dec-99, to lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.general)

  Re: Another part variation

(...) In something like this, it is possible (almost certain) that TLC has several molds, one or two could easily be the older variation. One interesting thing to do would be to compare the parts from 5988 against an older set, and see if there is (...) (25 years ago, 17-Dec-99, to lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.general)

  Re: Another part variation

(...) Many moons ago on RTL, someone from Europe (I can't remember who it was.) pointed out that the "horn" piece in Technic models is NOT the same as the palm-tree segment, the difference being the Technic version had inner tabs that would lock a (...) (25 years ago, 17-Dec-99, to lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.general)

  Re: Another part variation

(...) Augh! You're right! I've got three different versions, right here on my desk. Specifically, I've got: Brown tree trunks, height = 44LDU, no internal teeth/tabs Brown tree trunks, height = 40LDU, no internal teeth/tabs Black tree trunks, height (...) (25 years ago, 17-Dec-99, to lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.general)

  Re: Another part variation

In lugnet.cad.dev, Steve Bliss writes: [snip] (...) Yeah, it's kinda wild. Do you think TLC have a list with individual names and numbers for these 3 different parts? They must. How else could they get the right thing in the little baggies. It sure (...) (25 years ago, 18-Dec-99, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Another part variation

(...) Given that the 2 parts are different mabie we need a technic horn in the ldraw library??? -- Jonathan Wilson wilsonj@xoommail.com (URL) (25 years ago, 18-Dec-99, to lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.general)