 CAD / Development / 207
Re: [PARTS] - Header keyword line
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Fri, 19 Feb 1999 18:45:54 GMT

On Fri, 19 Feb 1999 16:55:56 GMT, "Adviesbureau Noord/Zuidlijn"
<nzlijn@euronet.nl> wrote:

Hello all,

I'm thinking of adding a keywords line to my (updated) part files, but I
don't know much about the functionality of this feature. A look in the FAQ
didn't help me either. Could someone answer these questions I have ?

1. What programs use the 0 KEYWORD-line (or was it CATEGORY) ?

None that I know of.  If we can all agree on a general definition of
these two meta-commands, I will add support for them to LDAO.

My current definition for the meta-commands are (note: I've violated at
least some of these rules):

0 CATEGORY specifies a single category that the part should belong in.
The category meta-command should only specify a single category. For
example:

   0 CATEGORY Brick

- Categories are not case-sensitive.
- There should be at most one CATEGORY meta-statement in a part file.
- If there is no CATEGORY meta-statement in a part file, the default
  category will be the first word from the part's descriptive name.
- Multi-word categories should be allowed, such as "Decorated Tiles".
- Unless there's a clear indication that a new category is needed, and
  will be used, only existing categories should be used in new parts.

There are two possible extensions for 0 CATEGORY.  Unfortunately, these
extensions conflict.

The first extension would be to allow multiple categories.  This would
allow a piece to be listed in more than one location.  This could be
accomplished by allowing a comma-separated list of categories in the
meta-command.

The second extension would be to allow a hierarchy of categories, a
complete classification system.  This could also be accomplished by
allowing a comma-separated list of category entries in the meta-command.

My thought is the the multi-category idea could be better served with
the KEYWORDS meta-command.  If anything, we should support hierarchical
categories.

0 KEYWORDS specifies a comma-separated list of words which users might
relate to the part.  Syntax:

   0 KEYWORDS <word> (, <word) ...

- Keywords could denote the shape of the part (round, triangular), the
  colors/treatments (chrome, decorated, transparent), obvious features
  or uses (hinge, window, hull), related LEGO themes (Adventurers,
  Divers, Technic), or any other terms which seem relevant.
- There may be multiple KEYWORDS commands in a single part-file.  This
  is necessary, since each statement should be only 80 characters.
- The part number, descriptive name, and category are all considered
  part of the keywords specification.
- There is no order to the keywords.
- It's not clear if parts of a keyword should be considered a keyword.

2. Are there any rules or smart philosophies about what words I have to put
into the line.

No rules, except what I've outlined above.

At some point, we might want to draw up a list of suggested keywords,
just to be consistent.  We wouldn't want half the parts to reference the
keyword 'boat', and the other half to use 'ship'.

3. Does it matter in witch order the keywords are, or can I just put them in
alphabetically.

See the answer above.

The two parts I'm starting with, 2635 and 2641, are a good testcase, because
both fit in multiple categories. Some of the (potential) words mentioned in
relation to these parts were: Airport, Boat, Frame, Crane, Harbour, Leg,
Train, Portal, Stadium, Stand, Support.

Hmm.  You can never have too many keywords?

Steve
--
Getting more whiz-bang for the buck.