 CAD / Development / 18
17  |  19
Subject:
Lugnet.cad.dat heirarchy
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Tue, 9 Feb 1999 19:59:02 GMT

Hey, folks.  Now that we're a newsgroup, we should pay more attention to the
subject line.

Anyway, would it make sense to draw the line either between 2 & 3 or between
3 & 4 for purposes of distinguishing between lugnet.cad.dat.xxx and
lugnet.cad.dat.yyy, where xxx means parts/elements and yyy means sub-
assemblies/models/sets?

Mostly.  I think a better way to split things is by whether or not it
will be released in a parts distribution.  Would Terry put it the next
L-CAD update?  This parallels a split between 5 and 6, or compound parts
and sub-models.

Steve

I tried to send an extended post on this subject, but I'm not sure where it
went.  It was basically along the same lines as Steve, though.  I would only
add that parts not intended for Official L-CAD status should also be put in
the cad.dat.parts.  Examples might be "part hacks" developed to stand in for a
part which has not been authored, parts which certainly don't meet L-CAD
standards but which might be useful to some people, stickers,etc.  There would
be some grey area here;  the cybermaster hack posted to cad.dat is intended to
be used as a part, but in form is a submodel of other parts.

-John Van