 CAD / Development / 11
Re: Proposal for Revised Memorial
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Tue, 9 Feb 1999 15:16:35 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, blisses@worldnet.att.net (Steve Bliss) writes:
On Tue, 9 Feb 1999 12:43:32 GMT, Todd Lehman <lehman@javanet.com> wrote:
In other words, in the final analysis, I wasn't trying to draw a distinction
at all.  :)  Just pointing out that it's so blurry, maybe it doesn't make
sense to have a distinction (with respect to TLG-subgroups of .cad.dat).

Or maybe it does...but it's not cut & dry.

You're not going to beguile me with your fuzzy-logic thinking here,
mister! ;)  If you crank the zoom up high enough, every line is blurry.

In this case, my feeling is the line is pretty clear.  It's almost
always obvious whether an assembly of parts is another part, or a
section of a model.  The exceptional cases are shortcut files, such as
the minifig shortcuts.  These are still defined as being parts, because
they are not model-specific.

So another determinant of where a sub-assembly goes is whether it is
set-  or MOC-specific.  If it is, then the sub-assembly is a model.
Otherwise, it's a part.

How would you classify a Blacktron I prisoner pod?  The exactly same sub-
assembly is used 6 times in 5 different sets.  It's not really set-specific,
but it's certainly not a part, right?

I'm not trying to be difficult, I just wanna understand:

(a) if it's possible to draw a line between elements and sub-assemblies
    (meta elements), and

(b) if it's further possible to draw a line between sub-assemblies (meta
    elements) and sub-sets and sets.

It sounds like both are possible, but with (a) making more sense than both
(a) & (b).

Seems like there are so many layers...

1.  Atomic elements:  single hunks of plastic
2.  Factory-fused elements:  still single hunks of plastic as far as anyone
      cares -- example:  2x2x5 lattice girder
3.  Cohesive composite elements:  they come apart but were meant to stay
      together -- example:  1x4/2x2 plate hinge
4.  Loose composite elements:  they come apart and were meant to be
      intermixed -- example:  1x2 tilting-bearing hinge
5.  Meta-elements:  useful entities in their own right which happen to be
      made up of smaller things, each of which is useful in its own right --
      example:  minifigs
6.  Sub-assemblies:  specially assembled collections of elements which
      together comprise a useful sub-component of a model -- example:
      8-element symmetric laser cannons on a large battlecruiser
7.  Sub-sets/sub-models:  useful or semi-useful models in their own right
      which happen to be part of a larger thing -- examples:  Blacktron
      prisoner pods as part of a Space Police ship, Adventurers vehicle as
      part of a temple set, scout ship as part of space base.
8.  Sets:  a "LEGO set" :)  -- sets of elements as purchased in a box or
      bag -- normal store sets as well as service packs.
9.  Meta-sets:  A collection of LEGO sets bundled together in a value pack

The line between 8 and 9 is actually very blurry -- see
http://www.lugnet.com/news/display.cgi?lugnet.admin.database:101
and followups for head-splitting fun.  :)

Anyway, would it make sense to draw the line either between 2 & 3 or between
3 & 4 for purposes of distinguishing between lugnet.cad.dat.xxx and
lugnet.cad.dat.yyy, where xxx means parts/elements and yyy means sub-
assemblies/models/sets?

--Todd