 CAD / Development / 1740
1739  |  1741
Special:
[DAT] (requires LDraw-compatible viewer)
Re: Un-Official Part: Technic Connector with Axle Hole
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Mon, 17 May 1999 06:51:57 GMT

On Mon, 17 May 1999 01:48:17 GMT, Fredrik Glöckner
<fredrik.glockner@bio.uio.no> wrote:

"jonathan wilson" <wilsonj@xoommail.com> writes:

good. does this mean that you will now be finishing your engine parts???

I probably should, yes.

As for the 2853 Technic Crankshaft, my draft at

   http://www.math.uio.no/~fredrigl/technic/ldraw/

is obvoiusly misplaced -- It's not centered.  So when I make a proper
one, I need to update all my models: Bah.

Anyway, how should the part be placed and rotated?  I reckon the axle
part of it should be placed like the 3704 Technic Axle #2, but which way
should the offset thingey point?  Any opinions?

Well, as this piece is commonly used with the 2854, and that piece is already
in the vote in its own position, I would place the 2853 in the default position
easiest to use with the 2854.
That would require a 180 degree flip of the 2853 and a little adjustment to
space it properly so two connecting rods fit between the pieces.
I have included a file illustrating the approximate position.
This may not be the best position for it, but it is the best I can think of.
No matter what its insertion  point, it will require some moving in a model.

0 sample insertion point translation of the 2853 part
0 May not be totally accurate without referencing the 2852 part
0
1 7 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 2854.DAT
1 7 0 0 -35 -1 -0.00 -0.00 0.00 -1 -0.00 0 -0.00 1 2853.DAT
0

Another question is the insertion point for the 2852.  Having it vertical is
fine.  The way you have it now works pretty well. A half step either way brings
it inline with the axle of the crank.  Two steps fore or aft to position it the
other way.  And it rotates nicely around the centerline of the ball, so placing
two rods is easy.    I would leave the 2852 as it is now.

And what do I do to get a number for a specific part?  I have two
unofficial parts which lack numbers: "Technic Connector with Axle Hole"
and "Technic Friction Peg with Towball", both at

   http://www.math.uio.no/~fredrigl/technic/ldraw/

Fredrik

If you can't find the part number, just give it a temporary name.  Before I put
it up for voting it will be reviewed and (hopefully) given a correct number.
If not, it gets the 3-digit number treatment.

-- Terry K --