 CAD / Development / 1517
1516  |  1518
Subject:
Augh! How to make sure parts-stuff is current?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Mon, 26 Apr 1999 15:32:41 GMT

Hey, y'all:

I'm working on adding a feature to LDAO which verifies that parts.lst and
the VEC directory are up-to-date.  I started to write this post asking if
it was worth the effort, but now I'm wondering what steps are even
necessary.  I think it is sufficient to do the following, but I need other
eyes to look at this.  LMKWYT, TIA, ETC.

Definition: A "Profile" is the output of the DOS command
   DIR *.DAT /0N
A "parts profile" is the result of profiling ldraw\parts.  A "VEC profile"
is the result of profiling ldraw\vec.

A parts profile captures nearly all information about ldraw\parts,
including file size and modification date, and which parts are in the
library.  *** It does not include whether particular files should be
ignored or included. ***

When Make List is run, record the parts profile.

When Make Catalog is run, record the parts profile.  Also record the VEC
profile.

At LDAO startup, generate a parts profile, and compare it to the Make List
and Make Catalog profiles.  If there are differences from a recorded
profile, that tool needs to be rerun.

At LDAO startup, if the Make Catalog profile has not changed, generate a
VEC image profile, and compare it to the profile recorded when Make Catalog
was run.  If there are differences, Make Catalog needs to be rerun.

Steve