 CAD / Development / 1405
Re: Utility Spreadsheet
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Thu, 15 Apr 1999 16:35:49 GMT

On Thu, 15 Apr 1999 15:11:50 GMT, "John VanZwieten"
<john_vanzwieten@email.msn.com> wrote:

Thanks a bunch for this.  If I had a nickle for every time I've typed in
formulas to interpolate a line . . .

No problem.  I'm glad it was useful.

I had to make a formatted spreadsheet for my own use.  Until I had this
thing, I would spend half an hour re-deriving the formulae, then typing it
in, then making corrections to what I typed.  I'd do this every time I
needed to interpolate.

I especially like the plane/line intersection sheet.  I used it to compute the
edge lines for right-angle intersection of two different sized cylinders,
which has to be one of the worst things about part authoring.

Right angle intersection isn't so bad -- you already know one of your
target values, because it doesn't change.  That reduces the problem to a
line intersection.

Also, you might look at the "Polyline Intersect" sheet.  This layout would
help you find the interpolation of a line intersecting a polyline.  Which
is a limited case of "I've got all these quads, no where does this line
intersect them?"

Have you thought at all about computing the intersection of two quads?

Yep, that would be the next logical step.

Lets
see, if you could find the intersection of a quad and a line segment, then
looking for each side of quad 1 intersecting quad 2 and each side of quad 2
intersecting quad 1 should yield two points which would be the end points of
the line segment of intersection.  (I think).  Well, if the quads were
coplanar this wouldn't work, and a case where one of quad 1's sides lay on the
plane of quad 2 would be a problem.

It also wouldn't work if the quads didn't intersect. :)  But those cases
can be checked pretty easily.

If such an intersection could be computed, then the intersection lines of two
cylinders would be the sum of all intersections of the quads in cylindar 1
with the quads of cylinder 2.

Right.  But I think this would be a function that would work better if it
was embedded in LDAO (or some other program), because making a
user-friendly spreadsheet that would work with variable numbers of quads is
beyond me.  And who would want a spreadsheet that only works to intersect
10 quads with 10 other quads?

But maybe I could write a VBA routine to assist with getting the data into
the sheet...

What I really want to do is to write a routine to project a set of quads
onto another set of quads.  This could be useful for someone making minifig
faces -- they could create the face as a flat image-DAT, and project it
onto the 'surface' of the minifig head.

Steve