 CAD / Development / 1254
Re: Dat posting idea for users of Agent
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Tue, 13 Apr 1999 21:23:01 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, legoverse@geocities.com (Terry K) writes:
I just had a good idea for simplifying posting of .dat files to
cad.dat. - at least for users of Forte's Agent.  Maybe this could
work for other newsreaders?

I guess it would work for any newsreader that doesn't allow a newsgroup-
by-newsgroup line-length setting and does allow multiple installations.

[...]
Pretty slick.  A dedicated newsreader for dat postings.   :-)
Feeling purty clever......

Pretty slick, yup.  :-)  But pretty perverse too.  :-)

I was thinking of at some point (after I get the uploading fixed)
requiring that DAT files be posted via the web interface only, and not
allow postings to .cad.dat.* via a newsreader or the e-mail gateway.
The reasons for this would be:

1)  Guarantee proper line lengths; no more line-wrapping issues.

2)  Make it possible to embed special codes in the article which make
    extraction of the .DAT content easier & faster & more foolproof.
    Would alleviate the need for a scanner/parser at fetch-time.  Perhaps
    these special codes would be some simple character sequence or perhaps
    it should simply use MIME.

--Todd