 CAD / Development / 1223
1222  |  1224
Subject:
Dat posting idea for users of Agent
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Tue, 13 Apr 1999 08:38:02 GMT

I just had a good idea for simplifying posting of .dat files to cad.dat. - at
least for users of Forte's Agent.  Maybe this could work for other newsreaders?

As most of you are aware, when posting .dat files you should increase your line
length in your newsreader to a high number - like 200 or so.
But normal postings to all the other groups should have line lengths of no more
than 79.  This can be a PITA to remember to switch settings back and forth.

So I had the brilliant idea (OK, slightly bright idea) of setting up another
copy of the Agent newsreader to handle .dat posts.
All you have to do is make another subdirectory in the \Agent directory - for
example "datposts"
Then make a shortcut to start Agent.  Edit the shortcut properties so that the
"target" is the program, "D:\Program Files\Agent\agent.exe".
And the "start in" line references your new directory,
"D:\Program Files\Agent\datpost"

Then when you activate that shortcut, Agent will run through the setup
procedure for connecting to a new newsserver.  Duplicate the settings for
Lugnet, except only subscribe to the cad.dat group, and set the line length to
a high number.
In addition, to save space, you can delete all other groups.  And set the
program to not save outgoing messages (why save'em?).

Pretty slick.  A dedicated newsreader for dat postings.   :-)
Feeling purty clever......

-- Terry K --