 CAD / Development / 10836
Re: Using LDraw (and LeoCAD, LDGLite, LDView) on 64 bit Linux?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.cad.leocad
Date:
Mon, 5 May 2008 16:33:44 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Tim Ayres wrote:
In lugnet.cad, Don Heyse wrote:
About 6 years ago there was a build of ldglite ran in 64bit linux
on an alpha processor.  It could possibly be made to work again but
I can't really recommend it because the old LEDIT tutorial is now
long gone from here:

  http://www.ldraw.org/Article58.html

Without the tutorial it'd be way too hard to use it.

A six year old version doesn't sound all that great. How hard would
it be to get the current version to compile under x64? Failing that,
how hard would it be to get the 32 bit version running under x64?
With commands like linux32 and such I'm sure it's possible, but not
very straightforward.

Apparently it's not too hard to get it to compile under x64.  I had
a friend using 64 bit debian fetch the latest code from CVS and build
it.  He had to install the developer version of libOSMesa to compile,
but that was about it.  His Direct Rendering opengl drivers are a mess
so we only got it to render using the offscreen commands (good for lpub)
but your mileage may vary.  Here's how to fetch it and build.  Just
press <enter> when cvs asks for a password.

  cvs -d:pserver:anonymous@ldglite.cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/ldglite login
  cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous@ldglite.cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/ldglite co
-P ldglite
  cd ldglite
  make -f makefile.linux

I put the small dynamically linked binary here.  I have no idea how to
get the required libs to run it on various distributions.

  http://ldglite.sourceforge.net/ldglite1_2_3beta64bit.gz

If you want, you could see if it works for you.  I still think you're
better off running leocad for CAD and ldview for a viewer if you can
get them to work.

Have fun,

Don