 CAD / Development / 10464
Re: 48 directory and non filename only line 1 part file names
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Sun, 30 Jul 2006 03:19:42 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Roland Melkert wrote:
Hello all,

Still working on the LDraw loader.

The 48 directory in ldraw\p, as far I understand it, is a 'alternative'
source for primitives, not?

Not exactly.  The files in the ldraw\p\48 directory are all based on a
48-faceted approximation of a circle.  The regular primitives in ldraw\p are all
based on 16-facets.

Just because a file is in one directory does not mean a corresponding version of
that file will exist in the other directory.

Jet I see some (unofficial) files using type 1 lines with the 48\
attached to the part name reference (eg 48\xxx.dat). Is including of
directories in type 1 line allowed or is this an exception? (could not
find this in the ldraw file spec page).

Yes, directory names are allowed.  In files in the parts library, the only
allowed directory names are 48\ and s\.

I was planning on adding an option ('Use 48 directory for primitives if
available'). So people can turn this on or off depending on rendering
speed needs. But with these 48\xxx.dat references in files you can't do
that. Unless I'll strip all 48\ references from the filenames.

You shouldn't need to do that, although it would turn all geometrics into
'hi-res' references.

Steve