 CAD / Development / 10386
    Re: Massive LDraw file repository —James Reynolds
   Ok, I'm going to try this again. :) I've learned a few things since my first post. I'm moving this to lugnet.cad.dev BTW. First of all, I know there is interest to in a Massive Ldraw file repository as I have gotten many private emails about the (...) (18 years ago, 10-Jan-06, to lugnet.cad.dev)

        Re: Massive LDraw file repository —James Reynolds
   And one more comment. It would be cool to have some automation for site owners as well. For example, Jacob wrote a script that auto-generates descriptions of the files on his site. All he does is move a file to his web folder, and a script runs (...) (18 years ago, 10-Jan-06, to lugnet.cad.dev)

        Re: Massive LDraw file repository —Jacob Sparre Andersen
   (...) I'm very lazy. ;) Any interest in a copy of the program that generates my overview file? (...) Definitely. Maybe we should take a few moments to think about how to announce the available LDraw files on a web site? Is the NNTP/SMTP header (...) (18 years ago, 10-Jan-06, to lugnet.cad.dev)

        Re: Massive LDraw file repository —Dan Boger
   (...) Using email for the transport here is just adding comlication - why not just have a web API that the remote repos use to notify of updates? Could be a fancy SOAP/REST interface, or a simple POST form. It's not hard to parse email, but it's (...) (18 years ago, 10-Jan-06, to lugnet.cad.dev)

        Re: Massive LDraw file repository —Jacob Sparre Andersen
   (...) I find it easier to make a script dump an e-mail with some text in a mailbox than to hack a HTTP POST form. I might not care to implement such an announcement feature in my script, if it was too much work to do. Sending e-mail and posting to (...) (18 years ago, 10-Jan-06, to lugnet.cad.dev)

        Re: Massive LDraw file repository —Dan Boger
   (...) I think HTTP is more reliable in unknown environments... From the server side, the HTTP method might be more complex, but keeping the complexity on the server side is better than making complex clients. (...) Right - the clients pushing data (...) (18 years ago, 10-Jan-06, to lugnet.cad.dev)

        Re: Massive LDraw file repository —James Reynolds
   (...) I use HTTP POST to have my work computers talk to databases and it seems very unreliable because if there is a network problem, the request dies then and there. But if I use email, the server will keep retrying. But I agree, HTTP POST is easy (...) (18 years ago, 11-Jan-06, to lugnet.cad.dev)

        Re: Massive LDraw file repository —Dan Boger
   (...) You can, of course, support both. The reason I say SMTP is less reliable on the client side is because you can't know if they even have an mail program, much less what it is or how it works. In an environment you're controlling (like work) (...) (18 years ago, 11-Jan-06, to lugnet.cad.dev)