 CAD / Development / 10272
10271  |  10273
Subject:
CaroML development
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Tue, 20 Sep 2005 16:29:01 GMT

Hi Dan,

Thanks for these clarifications, as i said i am not a native english speaker, i
usually use english when writing technical documents, i am a terrible diplomate
and things get even worse if i have to negociate in a foreign language.
So i apologize for all my misunderstandings.

I start a new thread with a new name, hoping it removes much confusion and
controverse.
As the program is LDraw compatible and does not help the inventory of official
models, i post only at lugnet/cad/dev, not at lugnet/inv.

There are still many thinks to debate before i can release.

* Rename the program

I am not fetish about that, let's say from now it's named CaroML, the new name
detaches it from the Peeron trademark and keeps it attached to the ML family of
programming languages.

* An explanation of what functionality the program offers

An explanation or a definition?

A definition is impossible, CaroML is a self-contained OCaml development
environment, eventually you can create an e-mail client (see
http://caml.inria.fr/cgi-bin/hump.fr.cgi?sort=0&browse=37) or a ray tracer (see
http://caml.inria.fr/pub/old_caml_site/icfp00-contest/).
Even using only my CaroML.Inventory module you can eventually merge your Book
inventory with your Toffee inventory (nothing related to a lego activity).

An explanation is still broad but more reasonable:

It offers basic functions that can be composed to create any manipulation of
sets of bricks.
Of course the end-user functions are one-liners that hide all the machinery.
Type the function name, the name of an LDraw file, the name of a lego theme,
then ;; and hit the Enter key, the result value is displayed. A new prompt
invites you to enter an new command, just like MS-DOS, far from being
revolutionary stuff.

* I still hope to understand what this actually DOES?

I am sorry i have to inflige you a cultural chock.
CaroML is functional programming, TO DO simply doesn't exist in functional
programming.
TO DO is a verb for imperative programming.
If you DO then you are an imperative programmer.
See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Functional_programming for an explaination.

* Include a few inventories as a sample of how they can be written

I agree about the principle of fair-usage of your copyrighted material.
But the principle alone does not solves the 2 big problems i have.

My first problem:

I have tested "My Parts" functionality at Peeron.com and i have built my Classic
Space set inventory (my username is "brickcaster").
Then i have tested "Build MOCs using My Parts" with my smallest MOC
"space_emitter.dat" which contains only 20 parts, the answer is i can't build it
because i miss a Black 2x6 Plate and a White Antenna 4H. Practically i can build
the MOC because the Black 2x6 Plate is from my Castle collection and the White
Antenna 4H is from http://www.peeron.com/inv/sets/2586-1.

Of course i can carefully choose an ad-hoc MOC plus 20 well-choosen sets so i
can show off one function. Then i have to carefully choose 10 other MOCs plus 20
others well-choosen sets to show off another function. The same for a third
function, that's already about the size of the whole Classic Space theme. And
that means users will barely see any functionality, they will just see one
function input gives one function output. Any other input would raise a Failure
"CaroML.collect" exception, which would sound like the program is buggy. My AI
functions are DATA-GREEDY, if you starve them they are plain idiotic.

My second problem is even more serious:

To explain how to write a CaroML inventory is to explain how to rip-off
Peeron.com
Once you know the CaroML inventory format, that's a matter of a few click to
rip-off the whole Aquazone theme, a simple-minded macro does the mass-job, just
some small manual adjustments are needed (basically i remove stickers because
CaroML wants strictly positive quantities).
So rather than letting me rip-off the database you are actually encouraging
everyone to do so the wild way. That why, morally speaking, i can't release
CaroML, even with your friendly consent.

Regards,

damien

web page: http://perso.wanadoo.fr/alphablock/