 CAD / Development / 10218
Re: Bricksaic and txt2dat?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Fri, 22 Apr 2005 20:42:54 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Steve Demlow wrote:
   In lugnet.cad.dev, Don Heyse wrote:

   Yeah, I was actually thinking the best thing would be to paste your ldraw triangle generator code right into the output code of autotrace. About a year ago I hacked a cheesy ldr output into autotrace, but it only does edge lines. I think we had some ideas about treating each color as the foreground and then adding up all the forgrounds to make the holes for the background. Or something like that.

This sounds similar to a past effort of mine called ldeco meant to help create decorated elements. It triangularized contours with colored seed points - see http://www.visi.com/~demlow/lego/ldeco/ for a brief description (the page is very incomplete, I never got any further with “publishing” it). The core code used is Jonathan Shewchuk’s Triangle library from http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/~quake/triangle.html. That may be of interest for what you’re considering.

Yeah, it sounds quite similar. Rosco’s tx2dat program also uses the Shewchuk triangle library. Do ya think maybe it’s about time to finish “publishing” your ldeco utility? I did a quick search and apparently you first promised to make it available approximately... FIVE YEARS AGO! Holy cow, time flies, eh? I mean, how much time does it take to zip up the source code and turn the word “Download” into a link? ;^)

Have fun,

Don