 CAD / datFest / 8
Re: Introducing and Planning .datFest
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.datfest
Date:
Tue, 18 Jan 2000 15:51:33 GMT

In lugnet.cad.datfest, Tim Courtney writes:
<snip>

I will bring this up again latter but I don't want it to get lost in the
shuffle.  One thing you need to keep in mind is Insurance.  Unless we can >>get The Media Lab or some other company to sponsor this we will more than >>likely have to be insured before renting any hall for a public event.  This >>is something that needs to be a top priority if we have to get a hall on our >>own because it means we will have to be official in some way and have >>insurance. (Which also means everything is taxable and would probably have to >>file a tax return next year as part of this offi • cal group).

Good thought I honestly did not think of.  In some ways I understand
how this is needed, but don't fully understand.  What would we have
someone could possibly get hurt and die on? ;)  I know nowadays just
about anything is subject to a long bitter lawsuit, but could you
offer some ideas so I can get a better picture of this?

I did not post this thinking that we needed the insurance because we would
have something were someone could get hurt.  The reason I posted this was
because most (if not all) public convention halls will require you to have
insurance as part of the contract so that they will not be held liable if
something happens.  I could be wrong about this but that is how I understand it.

As far as an example of something that could happen.  Well lots of things
could happen although most are unlikely.  Things like...

1. Someone choking on a piece of LEGO.

2. A power short circit in on of the PC's causing someone to be electicuted.

3. A cable on the floor someone trips over.

There are lots of other things that COULD happen although I doubt any WOULD
happen.  The "could happen" is what is important and what people worry about
not the probablility that something "would happen".

Another thought - with a sponsor we'd probably have to sign a
contract, right?  1) Who would sign, and 2) I probably can't sign
until late Feb when I turn 18. :)

I would guess that either way (sponsor or not) there will be contracts to
sign so that is another thing to add to the list for people to think about.

Eric Kingsley

The New England LEGO Users Group
http://www.nelug.org/