 CAD / datFest / 10
Re: Introducing and Planning .datFest
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.datfest
Date:
Wed, 19 Jan 2000 03:56:43 GMT

In lugnet.cad.datfest, Bram Lambrecht writes:
tim@zacktron.com (Tim Courtney) writes:
It would also be very nice if the funds collected for the event
would pay for a few if not all of these guests' travel, going first
to the people who live at a greater distance.

That'd be great! :) Although I'm probably one of the closest...
It would be really great to pay the Jessimans' trip...

Yeah, that's the main one I'm shooting for.  Though it would be excellent to
help out other LDraw experts on a per-needed basis with travel expenses.

Also, I'd like to offer the LDraw package of tools on CD-ROM to
attendees - given the permission of the Jessiman family.

LDraw doesn't take up much room--you could put tons of extra stuff on a
CD...

Heck yeah...  Hopefully by then the OMR will be running and substantial, so
we could put those on it, as well as some personal creations in a library of
examples.... POV-Ray (according to their license) etc.  Really an LDraw CD
would be a great resource if we could package everything someone would ever
need.  We wouldn't have to make a profit on it either, just cover the cost
of making them.  This could be included in registration for the event, as
well as orderable from the website - all depending on permission from the
Jessimans and whoever else's stuff gets packaged in.

Also, a .datFest logo needs to be devised.

I could give it a shot...

Ok.

A date needs to be determined for this event as well.  I know it
CANNOT be the first weekend in June (my HS graduation),

Well, if I come, it can't be my graduation either...so June 9-11 is
probably out for me. (not sure when I graduate, and too lazy to check.)

Yeah, understandable.  Depending on planning needed, late June might be
better.  It would also give me a couple weeks after school gets out to relax
and not have to worry about being busy.  Then again, sitting around with
nothing to do anxiously waiting this event to the point of desparation could
be hazardous to my health ;)

I appreciate your feedback for this idea and dream of mine (and so
many others) to hold.

Sounds like a great idea.  MindFest was fun, so this should be too :)

Thanks!

Now, I hope discussion picks up on it :)

Action items should be to secure sponsorship, other means of fundraising,
and a facility, as well as a date for the event.  Once that's made sure of,
the other stuff should fall together with time.

-Tim