 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / Primitives / 405
404  |  406
Subject:
stud3 -- hollow vs filled
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts.primitives
Date:
Thu, 23 Dec 2004 14:56:39 GMT

Hello, everyone.

When I was working on 71427 (expect a post on l.c.d.parts soon), I noticed that the two small underside studs were modeled with a pair of cyli4-4s and a disk1. When looking for the proper primitive to replace that with, I noticed that the closest we had was stud3 -- which is solid, not hollow. So I checked for other parts which had the same structure, and found 4477, Plate 1 x 10, which uses stud3, even though it (or at least mine) has hollow small bottom studs. So I checked if all small bottom studs were really hollow, and I think the pattern is that plate-high ones are hollow, whereas brick-high ones are sold.

Should I keep inlining the studs (there’s only two of them in this case), submit a new primitive along with the updated 71427, or use stud3 on the theory that it’s too minor a difference to care about? If I submit a new primitive, I’d like to name it stud3h (for hollow), though stud vs stud2 is the closest existing precedent. That’d mean stud3 vs stud12 (I only see 1-10 in p/, or on the tracker, but 11 seems to be reserved). I think stud3 vs stud3h is more mnemonic, and isn’t anywhere close to the 8-character limit.

-=- James Mastros