 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / Primitives / 356
Re: Stud5 and type 5 lines at edge of cylinders.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts.primitives
Date:
Thu, 2 Oct 2003 03:39:36 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts.primitives, Paul Easter wrote:

... “mess” ... deleted :-)

   Ok... I’m a bit lost is all this mess. I need to know where we stand on this issue. I have a Primitive Generator program written with Visual Basic available for people to download and use. If I • have handled this incorrecly, I need to know so I can try to fix the program.

I brought this up again, since I was reviewing my previous votes on the Parts Tracker; http://www.ldraw.org/cgi-bin/ptdetail.cgi?f=p/1-16cyli.dat

Paul

If you would like to try out the Primitive Generator, it can be downloaded from • this page; http://www.geocities.com/pneaster/prim-gen.htm

I believe the consensus was that the line between the last edge and the control point hanging out in space should be tangent to the cylinder, that this will help cases where the cylinder meets a box at right angles, and that it will help (but not fix) the S-curve problem.

So, on a quarter cylinder, the line (which of course wouldn’t be drawn) between the edge of the cylinder and the control point in space is represented by the red lines in this diagram:

With the above style type 5 lines, you have to have a type 5 line at both ends, or it won’t work right (hence the two red lines). I’m not sure if I’m describing this well.

I’m not sure we got a consensus about doing things like the above, but on the other hand, I don’t think anyone objected.

--Travis Cobbs