 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / Primitives / 259
Re: Low res 1-8 sphere primitve
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts.primitives
Date:
Wed, 8 May 2002 08:55:21 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts.primitives, Don Heyse writes:
In lugnet.cad.dat.parts.primitives, Travis Cobbs writes:
In lugnet.cad.dat.parts.primitives, Mark Kennedy writes:
Travis, here is a low res version of your sphere primitive. I moved the type • 5
lines  from the edge into the other sphere primitives, as to prevent them • from
showing  up when it placed against a torus. I could move the edge lines back
into the file if people think I should though, (It would save some space off • of
the 2-8, 4-8, and 8-8 versions)

I have two comments.  The first is that while I prefer my sphere tesselation
to the standard one (and presumably you do also :-), a number of people
prefer the standard one.  I think that a vote of some sort might be in order
before replacing the standard one.

FWIW I also like the new one better.

My second comment is about the type 5 edge lines.  I don't think the real
problem with removing them is the file size of the other sphere primitives;
the real problem is the fact that all (or at least almost all) parts that
use a sphere primitive will have to be updated to put the type 5 edge lines
back in.  To make matters worse, this isn't actually possible to do in a way
that is compatible with arbitrary complexity primitive substitution.

I agree.  The type 5 lines from the edges belong in the file.  See
here for my convoluted and poorly written reasoning.

http://news.lugnet.com/cad/dev/?n=7192

Don

Okay, I will add them back in. This will also make them unnecessarry for the
larger versions.