 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / 781
Re: [Part] Baseplate 32 x 32 with river pattern
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts
Date:
Mon, 28 Feb 2000 22:32:44 GMT

Papp Imre <ipapp@GEOMETRIA.hu> wrote in message
Dear part authors,

I attach the 'Baseplate 32 x 32 with river pattern' part for review and
comments. It is in the Canadain mountains set.

I consider it cca. 95% ready and before I submit to the official voting
process I want to resolve the remaining 5% percent and incorporate your
suggested modifications.

Questions and requests for advice:

1. On the real part there are tiny bubbles in the water near the rocks in
the riverbed. I wanted to render them with white (15) color. Since they are
closely circles I used the 4-4edge.dat primitive to draw them with line • like
this:

1 15 . . . . 4-4edge.dat

Since this primitive consists only of edge lines like this

2 24 ....

Ldraw changes the original white color (15) to gray making the bubbles
almost invisible both in ldraw and ldlite.

What is your suggestion to resolve this problem? (create my own
subpart/primitive?, inline the primitive and change the lines to the actual
color?)

One dimensional edge lines and edge-line primitives should not be used to
model  2 dimensional patterns.  I think what you have is a white "ring", so
use the correct ring primitive with a disc primitive in the middle and a ndis
primitive around the edges of the bubbles.  Then fill in the area between the
bubbles.

2. What is the correct number of the part? If it is known, please let me
know. If it isn't, Steve please allocate a three digit part number for it.

3. Is the name "Baseplate 32 x 32 with river pattern" acceptable?

4. Since I have taken the official plain 32 x 32 baseplate as the starting
point of my part (studs, edges, corners) should I give credit to someone in
the author line? (The plain baseplate has no author tag).

5. Is it OK, that I have hardcoded all colors in accordance with the real
part instead of using the generic color number (16)? Since the green color
on the bank of the river surely represents the grass, it is very unlikely
that this part may appear with color other than green.

The underlying color of the part should be color 16.  We like to be able to
use a part in a color that doesn't exist.

-John Van