 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / 6244
Re: Stl2dat settings?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts
Date:
Sun, 25 Nov 2007 20:39:06 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Marc Klein wrote:
Hi,

as a stl2dat toddler I'd like to know what kind of settings you use for the
conversion with a spot on:

-eps value (default 0.01)
-teps value : minimum distance for coincidence (default 0.001)
-deps value : maximum determinant for coplanar quads (default 0.1)

I use the defaults listed at Marc's site:

http://marc.klein.free.fr/lego/stl2dat/stl2dat.html

I use also the default values. In some very rare cases, i used a greater value
for teps (EG. 0.1) when the coordinates in the stl file have to few decimals.

Could you please add this piece of info to your site, thx?

but still get some quads with non-coplanar vertices. I guess this can be tweaked
with the teps and deps values.

The -deps value controls if two triangles can be merged to a quad. This value is
related to the -det option of l3p -check

Also on this a bit of info would save the day. I experimented a bit with the
values and it would be helpful if you could explain what happens if you increase
or lower the values - also in combination with -teps.

In addition I'd like to know if there is a
workaround for the origin point. Looks like the STL's origin is the highest
value on all three axes - is this correct? The -o XYZ option works fine but I'd
rather have the STL carry the origin I want.

The STL format produced by some software contains only point in the positive
quadrant (all coordinates are strictly positive). This is because some older
stereolithography machines could not handle negative numbers.
There is generally an option to avoid that in the CAD software.

I was able to fix this - thx for the tip.

Now I have another question. I was trying to get rid off the primitives (I know
there is the -no1 option but I'm talking about something different). Instead of
having stl2dat baking primitives I wanna get the raw triangles, quads und cond.
lines and -nc is not giving me what I want.

Furthermore it would be helpful to have a "save as" option. I use a batch file
for the conversion and with:

for %%a in ("*.stl") do %stl2dat_exe%  %%a "%%~na_with_Primitives"
for %%a in ("*.stl") do %stl2dat_exe%  %%a "%%~na_without_Primitives"
for %%a in ("*.stl") do %stl2dat_exe%  %%a "%%~na_colors" -c1 1 -c2 4 -c3 2

I could generate various files with various characteristics in one job.

bye, w.