 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / 5582
Re: ~Use and ~Moved
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts
Date:
Mon, 27 Dec 2004 19:45:35 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Jindrich Kubec wrote:
Steve Bliss wrote:
I think this is a Peeron question more than an LDraw question.

Sorry, I didn't know that, I thought it was an LDraw issue.

No big deal. :)  Peeron uses ~Use tags, LDraw doesn't.

It kind of depends on the direction you're coming from -- as far as
accurately recording the inventory, I can see your point.  The part
in the set is 44237, not 2456.

It's also the id currently in use by TLC and I think it's easier to
mimic their system as close as possible, than to reinvent a wheel.

I feel that it's unlikely that all fans are going to change their behaviour/data
whenever TLC makes a switch.  There are too many of us, and we all have
different levels of access, awareness and sensitivity to changing TLC data.

But come at it from the other direction: which sets contain one or more 2x6
bricks?  In that case, it's easier to find the answer if all 2x6 bricks are
inventoried with the same number.

Aliasing is the reply. 44237 and 2456 would both lead to the single page
and the sets containing both 44237 and 2456 would be referenced from it.

Yep.  But the raw data is also exportable, and aliasing makes it more
complicated.  And the more complicated the underlying data, the less useful for
other sites.  So it's more than just a matter of making one site (Peeron) run
well.

BTW, what happens if you search for 44237 on Peeron?  You get a note, directing
you to look for 2456 instead.  Not as elegant as aliased entries, but it still
gets the job done.

This is not the only example, TLC had multiple mold numbers from same
looking parts in the past (transparent, chrome etc).

Yep.

BTW: Is there any official way to get TLC's Bill of material for each
released set? That would really simplify the inventorying.

Nope.  It's not going to happen.  The way TLC handles the data is extremely
different than how us fans would like to use it.  TLC is interested in data that
helps them (a) design the sets, (b) manufacture the parts, (c) produce the sets
(along with everything else they need to do).  Their data goes a lot deeper than
just "we need 4 red 2x4 bricks for set X".

And it would be significant work for TLC (ie, it would cost them money) to
extract fan-useful data from the web of confidential manufacturing data.

Now just watch Jake come online tomorrow, and announce that they're going to
start sending all their set inventories to Peeron. ;)

Steve