 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / 5580
Re: ~Use and ~Moved
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts
Date:
Mon, 27 Dec 2004 18:43:14 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Jindrich Kubec wrote:
For example 44237 is valid mold number for 'new' Brick 2 x 6. I don't
know what are differences to 2456 and I don't care much. For inventory
purposes the number 44237 is important, I think. So why '~Use' - why it
can't be simply a 'shortcut' to the 2456.dat with some additional meta info?

I think this is a Peeron question more than an LDraw question.  For me, it would
be confusing to have two different numbers in use for what's a functionally
identical part.

It kind of depends on the direction you're coming from -- as far as accurately
recording the inventory, I can see your point.  The part in the set is 44237,
not 2456.

But come at it from the other direction: which sets contain one or more 2x6
bricks?  In that case, it's easier to find the answer if all 2x6 bricks are
inventoried with the same number.

Peeron and LDraw both record 44237 so that people can find the part by number.
But people adding data (ie, set inventories) are directed to 2456 to keep the
overall data as simple as possible.

Steve