 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / 5499
Re: Minifig hair and hats
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts
Date:
Mon, 15 Nov 2004 13:23:02 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Lee Gaiteri wrote:
The last time I wanted a part badly enough, I made it in MLCad by eyeing the
part and doing a lot of triangle guesswork.

How do you think most parts are made?  On irregular parts, there's usually only
so much measuring that can be done.  In the end, (at least for me), things come
down to eyeballing and a certain amount of adjusting things until they work.

OTOH, if anyone has some of that cool 3D scanning equipment....

Well, I want the cook's hat that badly, but doing this in MLCad doesn't
strike me as a picnic.

Making parts in MLCAD has never struck me as being a picnic - I use LDAO's
Editor, and LDDesignPad is also an excellent choice.  Using a text-editor based
tool means you have to keep track of the layout of your commands, but that's not
*usually* the hard part.

I figure it's probably a lot easier for an experienced part designer,
but what the heck, I'll take on the challenge if I have to.

That's the spirit! :)

To figure out the basic shape of the part, you should play around with primitive
files - like 4-4edge.dat and 4-4cyli.dat.  Once you've got the basic shape, you
can create one segment of the detailed shape.  Then copy, paste, and rotate to
create the remaining segments.

I wonder if some part designers could tell me, though, what's missing most in
currently available tools that would help them work more quickly. I know for
example in the case of the cook's hat, the real trick is in creating all the
vertices with 45-degree symmetry and then connecting them as triangles and/or
quads in a simple way. Maybe some sort of math expression evaluator would be
helpful, but what else? If I could help the part authors in this way, maybe I
wouldn't need to desperately hack at the parts I want myself when I'm not all
that good at it. (Heck, I don't even have calipers to measure the things.)

Calipers?  What are those?

Seriously, I'd be the wrong guy to say what's missing from tools - when I want
something badly enough, I code it into LDAO.  I'm very interested to hear what
other people think, though.

Steve