 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / 5498
5497  |  5499
Subject:
Minifig hair and hats
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts
Date:
Sat, 13 Nov 2004 20:47:34 GMT

Is anyone working on more basic minifig stuff? Seems like every other week there
are new patterns available, but not some of the basics like hair and some hats.
Right now I'm looking for 3898.dat, the cook's hat, and I'd like the minifig
hair with ponytail.

The last time I wanted a part badly enough, I made it in MLCad by eyeing the
part and doing a lot of triangle guesswork. (Not recommended, by the way. That
was 6251.dat. It wasn't certifiable until someone else took it over.) Well, I
want the cook's hat that badly, but doing this in MLCad doesn't strike me as a
picnic. I figure it's probably a lot easier for an experienced part designer,
but what the heck, I'll take on the challenge if I have to.

I wonder if some part designers could tell me, though, what's missing most in
currently available tools that would help them work more quickly. I know for
example in the case of the cook's hat, the real trick is in creating all the
vertices with 45-degree symmetry and then connecting them as triangles and/or
quads in a simple way. Maybe some sort of math expression evaluator would be
helpful, but what else? If I could help the part authors in this way, maybe I
wouldn't need to desperately hack at the parts I want myself when I'm not all
that good at it. (Heck, I don't even have calipers to measure the things.)

Lummox JR