 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / 5336
Re: Color scheme in Brick 1 x 6 x 5 with Rocket Launch Pattern?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts
Date:
Sun, 11 Jul 2004 15:59:31 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Don Heyse wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Travis Cobbs wrote:
I don't have the part, but the photos posted make it look to me like the
blue from the part is slightly visible through the paint.  So the paint in
the areas in question doesn't contain any blue.

Having said that, the two red circles highlighted in the bottom photo make
it appear that the regions modeled in light blue are actually very light
gray, and not quite white, since the circles highlight contrast with actual
white.

hm ... this is in tune with steve (initially I used light blue 9):

"Yes, I think it would work better to use color 503 (light gray from
Mosaic) instead of light blue. If those zones are really a vary light
shade of blue, you could try 505 (white/lt blue) or 370 (gray/lt blue).
But I suspect 503 will work better."

I picked 505 after doing some tests with all three colors.

I have the part, so I've been holding off commenting until I can look
at it.  But I lack patience, so...  In my mind, I remember the part as
having shades of white and grey on the questionable bits.  Therefore
the light blue just plain looks wrong to me.  I do have the Tigura
beast in front of me and it's clearly printed with a large patch of
white with a bit of the orange bleeding through from the plastic
underneath.  I'd model that as white, not light orange.

My guess is the extreme white you see in the picture is the same
printing as the "blue-white".  It's just brighter there because it
overlaps the earlier grey printing pass.  This misregistering of the
printing passes will look different on every part and should not be
represented in the model.

I disagree on the overlap. if this is really a misregistering of the
printing passes the white border would have the same size in all areas, while
the white line on the rocket is much wider than the one on the helmet or the
craters. before I started designing the part I also considered this being an
overlap (it would have saved a lot of time an effort just declare it as an
error) but IMO there ARE white borders around the craters, minifig and the
rest.

I remember having a second version of this part I couldn't use as a basis for
the re-engeneering because of its REAL overlap. I'll post a scan if I find it.

my 0.02 euro,

w.